Prioritising Me

"Instead of chopping yourself down to fit the world, chop the world down to fit yourself" - D.H. Lawrence, Women In Love

When I say 'prioritising me' I don't mean it in a selfish sense at all. It isn't a statement which means I'm going to be narrow minded, self obsessed, and dismissive of others. It isn't even a thing that I think only applies to myself, I think that everyone can do themselves some good by prioritising themselves and it's not something that should be looked upon as a bad thing.



After a long year at university and with a three month summer ahead of me the ball is in my court; it is up to me to decide how I'm going to use these months in the best way possible.

Deciding that I needed to get a job was the first thing on my list. I'm not wanting to get a job just for the money but it is also something to add to my CV, as well as breaking up my potentially tedious summer. I love being at home and seeing friends but three months day in day out with limited funds is never going to be fun. It is so hard at the moment to get a job, especially when you're a student who is only going to be available to a company for a couple of months - to be fair why would they choose a student on holidays over a candidate that can work full time all year round? Despite me understanding this it doesn't make it any less disheartening when job applications come back to you saying 'seasonal staff are not what we're wanting' or 'unfortunately we don't offer work to students'. But I didn't let it get me down, I kept applying, kept searching but, in the end, it was my academic placement that landed me a job. Job: sorted!

Coming from someone with a blog and is very active on various social media sites, the next thing is going to be a little odd. Taking a break from social sites and technology. In England hot, summery days are hard to come by and I'm determined not to waste those sat around scrolling through twitter or checking people's Instagram posts; I'm going to seize the moment; embrace the weather and enjoy the outdoors. I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful town and be in close proximity to London so the choices of activity are endless. And when it is dull and rainy? It's time to get reading and drawing. Reading and drawing are two of my biggest loves and recently I've not been making enough time for them. A good book and a coffee snuggled up on the sofa as the rain patters against the window sounds far more appealing than seeing the same posts on Facebook over, and over again. It's easy to spend your life looking at other's lives and, this summer, I'm determined to be the best version of me I can be which doesn't mean I need to be looking at other's lives.

University may have ended for the summer but with reading lists coming through I'm doing my utmost to be as prepared as I possibly can be for next year. Third year is the most important year and I'm determined not to let it slip through my fingers and end up panicked and stressed come spring 2017. Although this isn't necessarily the most fun thing to do, trust me I'd rather be reading books of my own choosing, it will put me in the best possible position for next year - another little thing that is me putting me first.

As well as all of these conscious efforts to enhance my summer and widen my opportunities, I am making the most of this summer for sure. With V Festival booked, a break away with my family planned and all my friends to see I'm definitely not going to become a hermit or boring but this summer is definitely my opportunity to go into my third year of university as the best version of me that I can be. I think it's important for everyone to take time to prioritise themselves, like I said at the beginning of this post; this doesn't have to be a selfish or narrow minded decision it just means making decisions that are going to better you as a person or better your opportunities and what can be less selfish than that? So next time you're having a dull day or are bored of the same old day time TV maybe take a break, decide what you want from life, what you're going to do about that and seek out a way to step towards achieving that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment