The Norfolk Broads

"You see, because (Norfolk is) stuck here on the east, on this hump jutting out into the sea, it's not on the way to anywhere. People going north and south, they bypass it altogether. For that reason, it's a peaceful corner of England" - Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
Travelling abroad and visiting the far corners of the Earth is full of adventure, fun and excitement. However, I often feel that serene beauty spots in the UK are overlooked in favour of tropical climates, foreign languages and exotic foods. Growing up, the majority of the holidays I went on with family were in England: Dorset, Devon, Cornwall and, Norfolk.


I hadn't been to Norfolk for quite sometime until my family and I paid a short, two night, visit there earlier this week. I have so many happy memories of holidays in Norfolk, boating down the broads and visiting various tourist spots. Visiting again recaptured my love for the place and made me want to document the lovely little area of the east of England that is so easily overlooked.


We stayed at The Old Rectory Hotel in Crostwick, a quaint little hotel with beautifully landscaped gardens, a heated pool and a wonderful restaurant. It was such a charming place, full of character.

When visiting Norfolk you can't not go out on the water. We hired a boat for a day, complete with a tiny kitchen area, and set out on the broads. The views from the boat were stunning and just as I had remembered from being a child and being out on my Grandpa's boat. Completely surrounded by countryside and cutesy cottages and holiday homes dotted along the water's edge. Ranworth holds a fond place in my heart; memories of visiting the small shop and choosing an ice cream, sunny walks through the little nature reserve and genuinely happy memories with all the family. Luckily we managed to moor despite it being busy and I set about re-exploring the place that I used to love as a child.

The two days spend in Norfolk were truly lovely and bought back so many memories of my childhood and it will always be a place that is close to my heart.






Rest in peace Gramps; you're in your favourite place now. Love you xxx


0 comments:

Post a Comment