I'm Getting There...

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering" - Winnie The Pooh, A.A. Milne

This year is a year of many changes and obstacles for me; it's the year I finish my degree and graduate but before any of that can happen I have a grueling few months of hard work to get through.


I've had many a break down about the struggles of the final year of university, suddenly all the work and deadlines are thrown at you and you're bombarded with essays and a dissertation. Despite being at university for two and a half years, not once was I made aware of just how hard the spring term of third year hits you. It's almost like they save all the work up and then squeeze it into the shortest term.

I was under no impression that university would ever be easy but, up until now, I haven't really struggled with anything and now suddenly I know what hard work feels like! I find it  hard to keep my head above water at times but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer and I'm keeping focused on that ever increasing spec of light.

I'm a pretty upbeat kind of person, it takes a lot to get me down but this term I've already had more breakdowns than I've ever had over the course of my life! I've used the words 'I'm going to drop out' one too many times and procrastination is suddenly not an option anymore!

At times like these I find I need a breather, an escape and I'm slowly discovering the little things that decrease my stress levels to a manageable level.

1 - A coffee and a read... and breathe!
Sitting down with a hot cup of coffee and reading my new posts on my favourite blogs is the perfect form of escapism. The pretty pictures, inspiring words and great advice from other people on their own little space on the internet is the perfect way to distract myself from the stresses of university and every day life.

2 - 99 Things That Bring Me Joy...
For my birthday, my best friend gave me a book called 99 Things That Bring Me Joy, a simple little notebook containing various headings, encouraging you to really think of what brings you joy, even the most simplistic headings allow an out pour of thought, creativity and inspiration

3 - Going to the gym
I've never been a 'gym-bunny' and I never will be, previously it's been a real struggle for me to leave thee house and muster up the effort to go to the gym but, this term, I've found it a real sanctuary. It's a place to relieve myself from stress. Starting the day with an early morning gym visit wakes me up, channels my energy and gets me going for the day ahead.

4 - Picking up a pencil and paper...
Drawing is one of my absolute loves, I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at it but there's something relaxing about the ease of gliding a pencil across a page. The sound, the feel and visually, it relaxes me. And, when I am done, the finished product is there forever, something creative,a little outlet; something that requires a totally different kind of concentration - a concentration that feels instantly productive and good.

These four little things are simple but are an outlet for my stress and a way of distracting my mind from all the reading, essays and deadlines that are ahead of me. The struggles of university are almost over and I know that once it's done I'll miss it terribly, although I'm so excited for the next chapter of my life to begin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment